Marching Toward Spring

March 14th, 2009

The weather is back on a warming trend. Isn’t this a great time of year?  There’s so many changes each day as you walk around outdoors- I came around the corner of the house the other day and was surprised to find a small patch of jonquils in bloom with a little crocus nearby.  The daffodils are awesome this time of year and soon we’ll have large and small yellow flowers everywhere.

jonquills-and-daffodils

By the way, I did finish the upgrade to the latest WordPress version. Hooray! Of course I was then locked out of the account for about 6 hours as I tried to reconnect to the database.  Oh boy… and then the login data was corrupted, but after much googling, tinkering, and gnashing of teeth, everything came together.  Other than a few formatting challenges it worked as advertised.  I was struck how after more than two years of writing here that I really enjoy it- and I would feel really bad to lose the data and writings.  I back up the database of course, but I haven’t printed out hard copies or anything.  I don’t know where it will lead, but perhaps after we’re all long gone someone else can read a little history of this time.  I wish I knew more about my own ancestors- what their lives were like and the thoughts they shared.  I’ll have to ponder that a little more.

Did you know that for the northern hemisphere the Vernal Equinox will take place this year on March 20th, at 11:44 am…?  Call me curious…  so in six more days we can have lunch and welcome spring once again.  Oh, wait… that’s UTC.   So let’s see for Central Daylight Time that means the equinox will take place at 6:44 am here in Missouri.  So make it breakfast then for the midwest… we can watch the sun rise and welcome a new day and a new season.

I’ve been watching the pussy willow tree (Salix discolor) this week and the catkins are really full.  Soon they will burst forth with tiny yellow flowers and the bees will have a party.  Maybe we will too!

pussy-willow-catkins

8 Responses to “Marching Toward Spring”

1. R. Shermanon 14 Mar 2009 at 1:40 pm

My Japanese plum tree is starting to bloom. I’m afraid will get another cold snap, though, which will ruin the flowers. We should be seeing redbuds and dogwoods anytime, now.

2. Ed Abbeyon 14 Mar 2009 at 5:36 pm

Although I spent all day in the garage, the door was wide open so I hope that counts as being outside. I hope that I can wrap it up tomorrow and start enjoying spring full time. I think it is supposed to be nearly 70 degrees up here Monday! I reckon that means you southerners will be up in the 80’s. The bees will really be buzzing!

3. Beauon 14 Mar 2009 at 7:35 pm

R.- That seems early for a plum, I hope we don’t get that cold snap. I’m keeping my eye out for the service berry trees too, we seem to get our dogwoods and redbuds just after.

Ed- That must have felt great with the fresh air. I didn’t know it was going to get so warm, and you’re right, those bees were all about today!

4. Pabloon 14 Mar 2009 at 8:10 pm

Isn’t 6:44 a.m. a little late for breakfast?

5. Beauon 14 Mar 2009 at 10:44 pm

Well, now that depends doesn’t it? Whether you’re starting, or finishing, or whose breakfast it is! :)

6. Ronon 15 Mar 2009 at 12:48 am

Hey, Beau… it sure is wonderful to experience Spring once again. I wish I knew more about my ancestors too… part of why I originally started writing my thoughts and experiences.

So, I’m doing it again… same address.

Your photos are beautiful… I think a chicken ate my long-awaited daffodil blossum. I’m gonna have to get better at this flower business. :)

Ron

7. Beauon 15 Mar 2009 at 6:28 am

Hey Ron! Thanks for the note, I will certainly dropy by :)

8. R. Shermanon 15 Mar 2009 at 2:08 pm

It is early. I’ve never seen it bloom before the middle of April after the redbuds and dogwoods. I think the warm spell we’ve had will be a mixed blessing. There’s one more hard freeze before winter is officially done for the year.