Another Hive Makes Three

May 23rd, 2009

It was time to set up another bee hive this week.   Probably should have set it out earlier, but I wanted to have an extra on hand as a bait hive in case a swarm was looking for a new home. Sometimes bees just pack up with the queen and move away, taking half to two-thirds or more of the hive workers with them.  If there’s a ready bait hive nearby, they may just move into that.  Otherwise I’m setting it up to add another hive to the mix either this year or next.

Here’s the pieces laid out for a basic hive. I’ve assembled some of the products and painted them- they don’t have to be white, but I like it that way.  I’ve set my hives up on concrete blocks to keep them off the ground. I just arranged the blocks to make a rectangle, and spaced them between the other two hives.  I use a level make sure the blocks lean slightly forward and to one side to ensure rain falls off the front corner of the hive, and so water cannot drain into the hive.  We’ve got a few skunks around too, and I think the height of the blocks can keep them from getting to the entrance.  I’ve read that skunks love to claw hives and suck on bees like candy… I’m not keeping Jujubees thank you very much :)

bee-hive-parts

I use roofing shingles on top of the concrete blocks to protect them from moisture, freezing, etc. and maybe reflect a little warmth to the hive. There’s a downside in terms of the hive becoming too tall to handle the heavy supers comfortably, but I’ve got them on gravel and should manage okay- I can drive up behind the hives if necessary in a truck.

I’ve assembled the hive stand and bottom board here, and like to place a screened bottom board on top of a regular bottom board. The screened boards help with ventilation, and theoretically reduce potential mite problems on the bees allowing the mites to physically fall off and through the screen where they can’t get back to the bees. Many beekeepers only use the screen, with no other bottom board. I like it this way though- and the bees have done well with it so far. I can put a tray or sticky paper in at the back and check for mite populations.

bee-hive-bottom

Next comes the hive body, and then the inner and out covers and the hive is ready! Empty, but ready. I’m thinking of trying a split off one of the other hives, using some frames of brood and honey, and getting a new queen for the new hive. It’s getting late in the season though, because the hive would start very small. The bees need time to build up their population while gathering enough honey to take them through winter. We’ll see.

bee-hive-body

Three busy hives would be nice- in a year or two I could have a good bit of honey. Can you tell what’s different about the third hive setup below (besides being smaller)?  Bees can actually use pattern differentiation to tell their hives from others. Some folks paint them different colors or paint a pattern on the front. I thought maybe the trees on different sides of the first two hives would help, so that’s why I put them there. But adding a third hive introduces a new factor, so I wanted it to look different.

three-hives

With three hives closer together, I wonder if I’ll get some drifting of bees from one to another? I’ve spaced them more than three feet apart to minimize the likelihood, and the different patterns should help. But sometimes the wind blows them around so much they become confused or go right to another hive. I doubt it is fully explained- some research indicates that young bees may also join other flying clouds of bees and go right in to a different hive thinking it’s their own.  And if worker bees come back drifting to a different hive with pollen or nectar I think they become assimilated… kind of like the Borg or something.  But do they go back to their own hive later? Don’t know.

And why are drifting bees not stung when going into a new hive?  Some say it’s because they act like it’s their own hive, not giving any behavioral cues to the guard bees to think otherwise. But robber bees are different, displaying some furtive intent or behavior to steal honey, and the guard bees are alerted to their presence. I find it all so fascinating- there’s so much to learn, and much that researchers still don’t know.

bee-hives-setup

The hives look settled on the edge of the woods, facing south toward the pond. I like them to have a little shade for the heat of summer, although some “beeks” believe full sun is best.  If they stay healthy and make honey, that’s about all I could ask for.

While setting up the hive, a friendly little tiger beetle stopped by. Well friendly is a bit emotive, but it stayed still long enough for a picture. It’s probably looking for it’s next meal, and I’m glad tiger beetles are really small! This little guy is the six-spotted tiger beetle and he has some good sized chompers.

six-spotted-tiger-beetle

I’ve learned a lot more about tiger beetles (and other insects, trees, plants…!) thanks to Beetles in the Bush’s amazing pictures and information.  I can’t say for sure, but I’ll bet he’s got a big smile on his face while testing out his new DSLR photo system.  His picture of the six-spotted tiger beetle is awesome!

10 Responses to “Another Hive Makes Three”

1. Pabloon 24 May 2009 at 6:24 am

I remember reading in one of Sue Hubbell’s books that according to her record, she had spent 34 days one month working on her bee hives.

2. Ronon 24 May 2009 at 6:50 am

All that bee info is really interesting. I haven’t ventured into them yet… maybe next year. I like how neat and well-organized your system is!

Ron

3. Sageon 24 May 2009 at 7:09 am

thanks for the lesson! I’ve always wanted to try beekeeping.

4. Beetles In The Bushon 24 May 2009 at 9:10 am

Hi Beau – I did some work with bees many years ago when the varroa mite first showed up. I did a few apiary inspections – never found the mite, but it was fun learning how to handle the bees.

Thanks for the shout/link. Yes, I’ve had a very big grin on my face since getting the new camera. I’ll be going out to Reifsneider Forest a little later to do some more experimenting. I’m kinda hoping to find another gorgeous tiger beetle species – the claybank tiger beetle (Cicindela limbalis).

regards–ted

5. Beauon 25 May 2009 at 4:14 am

Pablo- That’s a lot of days in a month! :) She sounded like a busy beekeeper- I remember her writings were really interesting.

Ron- Just trying to keep to keep it simple, but I’m going to need a little shed or something for storage space. There’s quite a few beekeeping clubs around- some folks go with someone to help out and see if they like it.

Sage- Lots of folks start with a single hive; my Mom had one for years and they enjoyed a good bit of honey.

Ted- Must have been interesting times with the concerns about varroa. Thankfully the mites haven’t been to bad yet for our bees (keeping my fingers crossed). These are russian hybrids to help with resistance. I look forward to some more pictures!

6. R. Shermanon 25 May 2009 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I’ve been thinking about setting up a hive, but I wonder what my neighbors would think. It’s not prohibited for me to do so, but I don’t want to tick anybody off. Although, in truth, there’s nothing particularly dangerous about the hives, or at least more so than than most bees flying around in the summer, plus it would be a boon to the local flower gardens.

7. Ed Abbeyon 25 May 2009 at 5:36 pm

That is a new one on me. I didn’t know bees had a problem of finding their way back to the wrong hive.

To the best of my recollection, my parents didn’t worry about that. Some of our hive groups had as many as two dozen hives though they were often in groups of four.

There is nothing finer than a warm biscuit and fresh comb honey.

8. Beauon 25 May 2009 at 10:39 pm

R.- You’re right though- depending upon the proxmity, people often have irrational fears about the bees. Another option- if they’re not kept where you live, quite a few beekeepers have someone living nearby that will keep a hive or two for them on their land.

Ed- I was surprised to learn about drifting, and most beekeepers don’t worry about it. But if the hives are too close it can happen quite a bit and end up weakening a hive and/or lead to robbing. I’m hoping there’s a warm biscuit with my name on it in a couple months!

9. Estheron 02 Feb 2011 at 4:57 pm

So what IS the difference with the new, smaller hive- other than it being smaller. Does it contain any different sections? Does it function like the other two hives? I am just getting info for our first hive and bees this spring.

10. Beauon 09 Feb 2011 at 1:45 pm

Esther- Apologies for the late reply… many are now using the 8 frame medium hives primarily because they are much lighter- but everything is the same in concept. Now if you’re talking about those plastic designer garden hives, or Ware hives, that’s a different matter! Thanks for coming by :)