Garden Time

July 10th, 2009

It was time this week to clean up the garden and harvest a few veggies. We pulled out the pea plants and dug the potatoes and cleaned up the rows. We probably took 25 pounds of red pontiac taters out of our 25 foot row- they looked pretty good all things (moles!) considered. The plants look very green in the picture but they were pretty wilty already. When you pull up the potato plants it’s like finding buried treasure- then you go back through with a “potato fork” which looks like a small pitchfork, and you always find a few more.  In a couple weeks I’ll plant some more of the red pontiac’s and see how we do this fall.

red-pontiac-potatoes

The cucumbers are just strange- they call these “Burpless Muncher” cukes, and they’re supposed to be longish and smooth. They are smooth, but most of them are short, fat and curly! They’ve had plenty of water, so I’m not sure why they grew like this. They taste the same, but they don’t quite look like picklers that I was hoping for this year. We’ll see how they do as the plant matures.

cucumbers

The banana pepper plants are really doing well… if you’re squeezed for space I’ve proven that you can cram 6 yellow banana pepper plants right next to each other and they will still grow a lot of peppers!

banana-peppers

It’s fun to see everything growing, to enjoy the garden’s time in summer- and soon we’ll plant a few more things.  But first it’s time for a weeklong trip back east- we’re scrambling to get packed up this morning.  I may try to write from the road, but we’ll see.   Have a great week!

7 Responses to “Garden Time”

1. R. Shermanon 10 Jul 2009 at 8:09 am

How long will the potatoes keep? Are you going to be canning some?

2. Ed Abbeyon 10 Jul 2009 at 12:59 pm

I too have had good luck close planting peppers. Tomatoes, on the other hand, not so good when planted close.

3. pamelaon 11 Jul 2009 at 6:23 pm

Tell my kids hello while you’re back east. They’ll be coming home in August; it’s taking forever for August to get here.

4. pamelaon 11 Jul 2009 at 7:03 pm

p.s.
    I have such bad manners—I hope you have a nice trip.

5. Edelweiss Transplantedon 12 Jul 2009 at 10:24 am

You are going to have some wonderful dinners from that harvest!

May I recommend my Oma’s potato salad — toss cooked potatoes, still hot, with a dressing of vinegar, oil (or bacon fat), and a spoonful of mustard, plus salt & pepper to taste. Gently stir in some finely chopped shallots or red onion. Top with lots of the following: crumbled bacon, chopped dill, and chopped chives.

I think I’ll go make some now, although it won’t be as good as it would with your home-grown potatoes.

6. Ronon 12 Jul 2009 at 10:18 pm

Holy cow, Edelweiss almost killed me with that recipe. I am literally starving now. :)

Your produce looks awesome, man, congrats. Our cukes are being weird this year too. The past day or two has been a little more ‘normal’. :)

Ron

7. Beauon 17 Jul 2009 at 8:13 am

Hi all… back again! Thanks for your thoughts-
    R- Those taters should keep a few months in a cool, dry place, but I’ve never canned them.

Ed- Think you’re right on the bigger tomatoes- I does seem that “Sweet 100’s” do okay a little closer?

Pam- It was fine, and I read your comments and waved to lots of folks as far as PA! Maybe not far enough… :)

Edelweiss- Wow, that recipe sounds good, and we’ll try it out this week!

Ron- Thankfully it seems to have rained enough while we were gone to keep things going. Time to plant again!