Bird Break

August 5th, 2009

The birds have been very active lately, or maybe I have- but they seem to be more energetic around the trees and forests.  Preparing for winter?  I almost had a perfect shot of an Indigo Bunting the other day- it flew off right before I pushed the shutter on the camera.  And the camera’s been acting up lately too- which is no surprise since I’ve dropped it, left it out in the rain, and often carry it around on the tractor.   Now I’m not sure if it’s the lens or the camera itself, so I’ll be checking that out a bit this month.  Forgive the fuzzy shots now and then while I try out some less expensive camera options too!

I caught this male goldfinch sneaking sunflower seeds by the house. They come by once or twice a day, determined to get all the seeds from our larger sunflowers.

goldfinch-sunflower

Last night I took a picture of these three barn swallow fledglings. There was a fourth that fell out of the nest and, well… lets just say I found feathers around the house and a “who me?” look on the cat’s face.  But I’ve been waiting for these three to leave for the past week and this morning they were gone!

barnswallow-fledglings

That makes it the second batch of barn swallows from this one nest- so that makes seven fledged birds from this one, and 3-4 each from two other nests.  About 13-15 young barn swallows just around our house this year.  I like to think they keep the bugs down, and it’s fun to watch them zooming by as I cut the grass.

7 Responses to “Bird Break”

1. Edelweiss Transplantedon 06 Aug 2009 at 12:11 am

I’m glad the cat didn’t get those three. Look at those sweet little faces. And the goldfinch is lovely.

2. Pabloon 06 Aug 2009 at 5:44 am

Seems like I’ve seen more indigo buntings around this year, but it may be that I’m just paying better attention.

Send some of those swallows Kansas City way. The mosquitos have been terrible this summer!

3. karlon 06 Aug 2009 at 5:45 am

i wish we had barn swallows.

4. Beauon 06 Aug 2009 at 12:59 pm

Edelweiss- Yes, those darned cats; Great when they get moles and such, not so with the birds!

Pablo- Really? They’re such beautiful birds- I don’t see them very often. Maybe you do have a larger population. Fortunately our mosquitoes have not been so bad this year!

Karl- Maybe they’ll find you soon- this first pair has been nesting here for 8 years or so- and their young built two more nests last year. I think that’s enough for now! Thanks for coming by :)

5. Divinebunbunon 06 Aug 2009 at 2:01 pm

Beautiful baby-bird photo!

6. pamelaon 06 Aug 2009 at 6:32 pm

We had an abundance of wrens this year- my favorite bird. The barn swallows are totally entertaining , even more so when you think of them catching mosquitoes as they swoop.

7. Beauon 06 Aug 2009 at 10:10 pm

Bun Bun- Thanks! They are cute aren’t they?

Pamela- Wren’s are such neat little birds- I see them in winter more, but not often the rest of the year. They probably keep a good distance from our cats. I love the thought of barn swallows eating mosquitoes :)