Carpe Vertere Autumni Diem!

October 23rd, 2009

pink-rose

“One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today…”    – Dale Carnegie

The roses are once again in bloom, having survived the insect hoardes through summer.  They may only bloom for a few weeks, but that is enough. How beautiful they are!  We are off for a brief sojourn to the woods this weekend, to enjoy the glories of Autumn. I hope you can too…

8 Responses to “Carpe Vertere Autumni Diem!”

1. Edon 23 Oct 2009 at 12:45 pm

I took a course created by Dale Carnegie and though my teacher wasn’t very good, the material presented was extremely good.

Have a good weekend.

2. the inadvertent farmeron 23 Oct 2009 at 1:44 pm

Ohhh I love roses, can’t believe you still have one that lovely! Kim

3. Vincenton 24 Oct 2009 at 3:12 am

I forget how lucky we are to have a maritime climate. And while we never have good autumnal colour the only problem with the Roses is that it gets cold enough for long enough that it kills bugs and diseases. Almost every year we have roses in December. When in my last incarnation as a Landscaper, I would advise that Rose borders were trimmed like a hedge in November.
    Have a gorgeous weekend.

4. R. Shermanon 25 Oct 2009 at 12:51 pm

A few weeks at best, but enough to get us through the winter dreaming of spring blooms.

5. Beauon 25 Oct 2009 at 9:18 pm

Ed- That would be a great course. The only similar experience I can remember is a Stephen Covey course. That was pretty good, but I may explore a few others.

Kim- I’m amazed too! Then reading Vincent’s comments below… that’s more amazing still!

Vincent- What a treat… and, um, want to come visit for a month or two? :) I love horticulture and landscaping, yet find myself struggling for time to think and work earnestly about either. If money were no object, I’d have a lot more plans. And roses in December?! I can understand the pruning- it must have brought forth a beautiful scene…

Randall- So true! I find myself marveling at pictures past during the winter, and how the landscape changes. The seasons are just long enough that our recent experience fades, and we can hardly believe how much things change.

6. Vincenton 26 Oct 2009 at 4:15 am

Sorry Beau, not a flush of Roses, but enough for you to know they were there.

The best tip I can give you on Landscaping, never buy retail. Go to the source, even if that source is 500 miles away. Use U-Haul, if you do not have a trailer. Ask for a 10% reduction as at least that amount will die, on top of whatever price you agree upon. Anyhow, retail, you will get 10 plants, my way 50. If one of ten dies you will see it, 5 in 50 much less so.
    Then if planting or sculpting land use the biggest earth-excavator you can get. Never ever ever ever use a shovel or a spade for anything other than delicate work. A fence-post auger will do just as well. There are those in horticulture that would have you digging planting holes with a brush.

7. warrenon 26 Oct 2009 at 9:51 am

Leaves are beautiful here this week…we are enjoying them indeed! Hope the weekend was great!

8. Sageon 26 Oct 2009 at 11:05 am

beautiful rose and a quote to live by