Digging, Jumping and Cooking

October 29th, 2009

Where has the week gone!? We picked a wonderful couple of days to enjoy camping last weekend… it has been nearly the only sunshine we’ve seen in about two weeks. We really had a great time, and I’ll share a little more later. All the rain is incredible though, we’ve had far more than usual.

This maple tree was beautiful in the sunshine last Saturday. Some of the maples turn orange and red, and others a bright yellow. Maybe a sugar or silver maple?

maple-tree-color

I’ve been trying to work outdoors these past few weeks, but the weather hasn’t cooperated too much. My shed project is still there… waiting for drier weather. I managed to dig out the base for the foundation from the hillside. An enormous amount of dirt that I placed behind the barn near the beehives.   I wanted to remove the soil from the work area so the rain didn’t cause a muddy mess… that turned out to be a good idea.

shed-foundation

After I finished digging it out, I packed down a small entrance drive and the interior with gravel and it really worked well to prevent erosion and mud from heading to the barn.  My plan is to build a small retaining wall at the back, and then use dek-blocks on top of gravel for the foundation structure.  Not sure what kind of retaining wall I’ll build yet…

Of course the boy found the gravel pile a great place to test his jumping abilities. And yes, he’s wearing his pajamas. It seems that part of the school activities this week included “pajama day.”   I would never have thought of wearing pajamas to school as a kid… these days they seem to love it.  After school he thought it great fun to run around in them, especially with the brief sun that emerged for about 10 minutes!

pajama-rock-pile-jump

While it’s been raining (and chilly!) I figured it was time to get out the crock pot this week.  Started a new recipe that I call Harvest Slow-Cook Tenderloin… and it includes potatoes, onions, carrots and even apples.   Isn’t it colorful?  The tenderloin is under all the veggies and broth.

slow-cook-tenderloin

I let it cook for about 4-5 hours, and the crock pot does all the work.   The pork tenderloin comes out nice and well… ah, tender!

slow-cook-tenderloin-2

I’m one of those cooks that makes things as I go along… recipes are simply recommendations… no hard and fast rules! It was pretty tasty.

7 Responses to “Digging, Jumping and Cooking”

1. R. Shermanon 29 Oct 2009 at 12:55 pm

Dittos to the “making it up as you go” trick. I cook all the time and it drives my wife crazy when she asks me for the recipe and I say, “I don’t remember.” (Though she’s one of those who believes that if you put two extra grains of salt beyond the recipes “3/8ths of a teaspoon” the dish will “go critical” and destroy the planet.

2. Edon 29 Oct 2009 at 2:30 pm

I missed those great days and instead chose the next three days of rain. I think we got another three inches today and it is still coming down. Do you have plans for an ark?

3. Beauon 30 Oct 2009 at 1:30 pm

R.- That sounds familiar! :) It usually turns out okay, but every now and then it’s a little… different. Of course, I eat just about anything anyway…

Ed- No kidding; The past two days we got another 3-4 inches of rain! I’ve never seen so much around here before… at least the wells and aquifers will be replenished.

4. warrenon 30 Oct 2009 at 2:52 pm

I love crockpot cooking! It’s hard to beat tenderized meat! Like you, I also prefer to use recipes as a recommendation. It irritates my wife which makes it all the better!

5. sageon 30 Oct 2009 at 9:25 pm

The food looks good… I don’t get PJ day, either. And with last night’s rain and today’s rain and wind, the leaves are gone (at least from the branches)

6. Vincenton 31 Oct 2009 at 6:20 am

This method of cooking in the old days was excellent for the lesser cuts of meat. Given 4/5/6 hours, something tough enough to shoe horses could be cut with a spoon.
    Do you have your own gravel on site, you mentioned a stream at one point, I think.
    Oh, I have this picture of NORAD in my mind that looks something like the second photo. You know the road to nowhere, big question mark !.

7. Beauon 31 Oct 2009 at 10:43 am

Warren- I think I see a cooking theme among a few of us… I wonder, is that a gender thing?! Okay, Ed… do you cook? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler?

Sage- I gave up trying to understand certain aspects of kids and school life. I never intended to cross that great chasm of adulthood and leave childhood behind… it just happened… like in Peter Pan. But I won’t give up that “childlike heart” so easily!

Vincent- Makes sense, and a good stew can combine so many things that taste good. I bring in gravel from a quarry not too far away. I brought in about 12+ tons for the pile and driveway touch-up, and the greater cost was the trucking fee itself. NORAD?! I use to work for one of their sectors… I see what you mean- the entrance to Cheyenne Mountain! :)