Snow Came Gently

December 21st, 2009

A light dusting of snow was our welcome to winter this weekend, almost like holiday frosting gently covering the trees.   Many of our friends across the north and east have received so much more.  I hope you are all snuggled safe and sound, and can enjoy the beauty that winter brings.  Let us hope that family travels and caretaking will not be affected too much, however it looks like another big storm is brewing in the west…

frosting-of-snow

“Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childhood days, recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth, and transport the traveler back to his own fireside and quiet home…”   Charles Dickens

May you have a peaceful and pleasant holiday season!

9 Responses to “Snow Came Gently”

1. Mark's Bee Havenon 21 Dec 2009 at 1:21 am

Absolutely beautiful! What a wonderful picture! It almost reminds me of a Christmas card.

We may actually have a white Christmas this year, the forecast calls for snow here on Christmas Eve..so Santa Claus may have actually snow to contend with on the rooftops!

May you and yours have a Merry Christmas too, Beau! And thank you for your friendship!

Mark

2. pamelaon 21 Dec 2009 at 3:50 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family. As much as I usually hope for a respectful snowfall, I’ll be wishing it away until my kids get home Christmas Eve. Your photo is excellent.

3. pamelaon 21 Dec 2009 at 3:53 am

Respectable, not respectful. Amazing how I miss the errors until after I hit submit, and I’m way too obsessive to let it slide. Oh well.

4. R. Shermanon 21 Dec 2009 at 7:50 am

It looks like you got more than we did. For us, it was just a dusting and my yard still looks more brown than white.

5. Sageon 21 Dec 2009 at 9:02 am

beautiful! We got another 4 or so inches over the weekend–but I know of two families who had people traveling up from the Carolinas–one spent 9 hours in a WVA ditch with an infant… I’m fllying south next Tuesday

6. Edon 21 Dec 2009 at 11:16 am

I’m checking in with only 2-1/2″ from this weekend. I’m glad I’m staying home for Christmas as it sounds like traveling is horrendous. I only have 40 miles to drive down to the folks and that may be out of the question if we get the storm they are forecasting for tonight through Thursday.

7. Vincenton 22 Dec 2009 at 3:43 am

I think the following is lovely and hits the mark.

The Snow Man
    by Wallace Stevens

One must have a mind of winter
    To regard the frost and the boughs
    Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;

And have been cold a long time
    To behold the junipers shagged with ice,
    The spruces rough in the distant glitter

Of the January sun; and not to think
    Of any misery in the sound of the wind,
    In the sound of a few leaves,

Which is the sound of the land
    Full of the same wind
    That is blowing in the same bare place

For the listener, who listens in the snow,
    And, nothing himself, beholds
    Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.

8. Beauon 23 Dec 2009 at 4:21 am

Mark- Thanks and you too! Bee merry and safe :)

Pamela- I hope the weather cooperates, and you all have a wonderful reunion!

Randall- And now the rain… glad it’s not icy yet, but I’d prefer the snow.

Sage- Wow, that would not be fun. Hope you get to ski a bit first, and then enjoy the southern journey!

Ed- It sure looks like big storm. Stay safe too and have a wonderful week!

Vincent- That is really nice- I haven’t read it before. It fits here beautifully, thanks for sharing it… :)

9. R. Shermanon 23 Dec 2009 at 8:57 am

Off topic (Sort of): Have a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year!