A Sunflower Brightens the Day

June 25th, 2010

The birds really love sunflower seeds… especially fresh sunflowers.  This goldfinch was testing out the buffet, although I hope to get a few mature seeds for planting next year before they’re all gone.  This one grew as a lucky volunteer from scattered winter seed… there’s three in the same area.  I’m amazed at how large they can grow, and it’s just a fresh, sunny feeling when you walk by and see them.

The size of these leaves is amazing.   I placed my reading glasses on the top for comparison.   Those are just enormous photosynthesis machines in action.  I remember driving through Illinois last year and seeing vast stretches of sunflowers growing in the fields.  It looked beautiful…

8 Responses to “A Sunflower Brightens the Day”

1. R. Shermanon 26 Jun 2010 at 9:48 am

Are those ornamental or do you grow a bunch in the garden for seeds?

2. Sageon 26 Jun 2010 at 10:04 am

Beautiful photo!

3. chookon 26 Jun 2010 at 11:43 am

fancy finch! is it really that blue? (disclaimer: i’m not too up on my birds. i have a tendency to call the basic garden variety bird “little brown jobbies.”)

4. annieon 26 Jun 2010 at 3:04 pm

Ha! I can’t help but laugh at the glasses sitting on the leaf; looks like it’s observing you! :D
    Beautiful sunflowers too!

5. Beauon 26 Jun 2010 at 11:01 pm

R.- They’re the kind farmers grow I think… ours just took root from a stray seed! But I’m going to keep a bunch of them and see how they do next year :)

Sage- Found your comment in the spam for some reason?! Thanks, and for posting…

Chook- The goldfinches are so pretty in summer- yet plain in winter. LBJ’s… good name!

Annie- And the funny part is that it sits outside my bedroom window! Dang big suckers…

6. Vincenton 27 Jun 2010 at 12:46 am

I grew them a few years ago. One of them got to 18 ft, eventually. We could not get them to flower for another month an’ a half at least.
    Lovely photos.

7. warrenon 01 Jul 2010 at 10:38 am

I love sunflowers! Mine aren’t as far along as yours but are getting there!

8. wellsleyon 20 Jul 2010 at 11:04 pm

great pictures (im an artist and was wondering if i could use some of the pics for insipiration for my latest works based in the north woods)